Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bean there done that

I hope it's not just me who has "those" days where everything you look for in the pantry and has run out. Or maybe not everything, but half of everything...

Like last night, we made our second harvest of broad beans (375g in pods/150g without). I was too tired to be creative so just decided to make another helping of Bean Feast. Last week's version had to morph into: broadbeans, half a red onion softened in oil, spaetzle noodles and sweet chilli sauce. In the rush of dinner I forgot the cheese, but it was still good!
Then after dinner I was planning to make Consuming Passions' Mogul Chicken to have today. Yet again, my pantry was running a bit bare in areas- but again, necessity is the mother of invention.

My Modified Mogul Chicken was:
6 chicken thigh fillets (supposed to be 8 pieces on the bone), marinated in garlic, turmeric and korma paste (supposed to be garlic, turmeric and ginger), then browned in a pan (without the suggested 2 large onions).
A tablespoon of garam masala, a tablespoon of curry powder and a cup of stock were added, along with a handful of raisins and a tablespoon of pine nuts (the closest thing to slivered almonds that were in my nut box).
After 45 minutes simmering (which I split over two days, and stored in the fridge in the middle!) I added half a cup of yoghurt instead of cream (which I almost never stock), heated it through and served with rice. Despite the modifications, it still worked!

As much as I enjoy recipes that can cope with a pounding into a new flavour, I think a supermarket trip is in order!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the life of a working mother :)

_vTg_ said...

:-)
with a bit of
:-o
;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails