Saturday, March 6, 2010

How do you like your chocolate?

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm a chocaholic, but I do enjoy chocolate.

So when I was wandering around the shops at Stockholm's Arlanda Airport in December with a few last Kroner to spend, I was interested to see some out-of-the-ordinary chocolate varieties.

The Lindt Touch of Sea Salt got a good review at Chaos Theory, so I took a bar of that. Back home, I tried it... yeah, it was ok, though not something I'd buy again. It tasted like... nice chocolate... with a bit of salt. I'm sorry, but it just didn't do it for me- my first impression was that it reminded me of eating with my boys, where every now and then I wind up eating food A with a touch of random food B that they've mixed in- such as chocolate with a bit of salt. But perhaps I shouldn't be surprised- when we lived in the US I never appreciated the chocolate bars with embedded pretzels (really!), and I've never bothered trying chocolate potato chips. With a few exceptions (like maple syrup and bacon, mmm), I'm just not that into salty-sweet.

My second purchase was much more of a gastronomic success: "Winter" flavoured chocolate, with cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper and ginger. Sounds a bit weird perhaps, but think of mulled wine or a ginger snap in a chocolate. To be fair, the flavour didn't go down so well with some people I offered it to- interestingly, males (B included) tended to give it the thumbs down, while females were generally appreciative. Given Marabou is a Swedish brand, I guess I'm unlikely to find any more Vinter Chocolate in Melbourne, so maybe one of these days I will have a go at recreating it myself.

So those are my weird chocolate flavours- how about you? What's the strangest- and best- chocolate you've tasted?



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails