Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Beauty in biology

And now for something a bit different: beauty in biology, from the Wellcome Trust Image Awards. If only I lived in London so I could see the exhibition for real; half a world away I'll settle for sharing the real pixels with you.


First, for my neglected gardening followers, a garden friend:

Honeybee

DAVID MCCARTHY AND ANNIE CAVANAGH


Next, a guess what...

Mouse retina

FREYA MOWAT, UCL

(Isn't it beautiful?)

Speaking of beautiful:

Ruby-tailed wasp

SPIKE WALKER


And finally, my favourite:

Blood clot on a plaster

ANNE WESTON, LONDON RESEARCH INSTITUTE, CANCER RESEARCH UK

Who would have ever thought there was beauty in a used bandaid?!




PS. Does any clever person out there know how to make my columns wider? I'm sick of good pictures being chopped off! In Blogger I tried Design>Template Designer>adjust column widths and got "this is not possible for this template".

1 comment:

Maxabella said...

OMG, images like these are both beautiful and a complete freak-out for me. My brain goes haywire!

Maybe the ex-y will come to Australia!? x

Related Posts with Thumbnails