Sunday, November 1, 2009

Kids in the kitchen- mango pudding

A few weeks ago I found this fish mould in our local op shop. For $3 I couldn't resist!

If you've been to yum cha (dim sum) and made it to the desert trolley, then you have probably seen mango pudding.

We recently ended up with an overripe mango, and with false economy in mind, I bought several more mangos to make my own mango pudding. There are a lot of variants on line; my version was based around the Australian Institute of Sport's version.

Mango-Coconut Pudding

6 tsp gelatine powder
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 cups pureed mango (fresh or canned- we used six small mangos and supplemented with canned)
1 cup coconut milk (the original recipe uses evaporated milk)
8 ice cubes (I'll call this optional as I didn't bother with them; my mango puree was refrigerated)

Heat 1 cup water in a small saucepan over low heat. Add gelatine and sugar and stir until gelatine dissolves and mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl, combine mango puree, milk and optional ice cubes. Pour gelatine mixture into mango mixture and stir until thoroughly combined (and ice cubes melt if using). Pour mixture into mould and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until set.

I haven't included any pictures of Big Bro, but he was involved in the not-hot-tipping and stirring stages. We took it to a neighbour's birthday party, where the favoured mode of eating was dip-style, with pieces of fruit. It was enough of a success that I was able to demonstrate the reach of our home wireless to access the recipe for passing on!

I was overly anxious about sticking in the mould, so overdid the hot water immersion to unmould, hence the halo! I used the tip of a grape to replace the lost eye.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

yum! I've never had mango pudding at dim sum, but in Hong Kong, they often serve mango pudding with a drizzle of evaporated milk on top. try it. You'll love it. lovely mould by the way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails